Friday, August 13, 2004

Perspective

I sit here excitedly awaiting the Olympic's opening ceremony and comtemplating the past couple of days. I think I will make this short and just leave some thought and questions.
Situation: I'm at work with coworkers that I have grown very fond of, despite our disagreements of values and morals. As I leave, one who is working later than I, sweetly asks me to do a quick favor for her and run across the street to buy a pack of cigarettes. What do I do?

And, a simple question. Is it possible for guys and girls to just be friends? Ok, maybe a little more to this one - Christian to Christian, non-Christian to non-Christian, & most curious to me: Christian to non-Christian. Is friendship possible?

Feedback is desired.
Maybe some more background to this later, but for now, I'm watching the Olympics. Ciao!

5 comments:

Amy said...

Situation: It's up to you. While cigarrette smoking is not healthy, neither is eating junk food or not getting enough sleep. I don't think it's any more wrong than any of those things... You've made a decision not to do it, and of course you don't want your friends doing it. I think the decision lies in whether your refusing to do the favor will make a point to your friend or just annoy her. Well, I guess if you feel really strongly about it, than don't do it, regardless of your friend...
So I don't know. Ignore everything I just said.

As for the question...
"Platonic" is one of those words that kind of loses it's meaning after you think about it too much. So I looked it up on dictionary.com and found that platonic="a pure, spiritual affection, subsisting between persons of opposite sex, unmixed with carnal desires, and regarding the mind only and its excellences."
In that case, I would say Yes, definitely, platonic friendships are possible in all capacities. Because I've had them. And still do.

the end.

David said...

What Amy said about the cigarettes dilemma more or less expressed my own opinion.

I personally think that completely platonic relationships between guys and girls are impossible, but I largely hold that perspective because I have found myself incapable of appreciating a girl's personality without simultaneously recognizing her attractiveness. Though I may not constantly think about the possibility of a relationship or have strong romantic feelings for a girl, I can never completely forget the distinction between our sexes and the implications that distinction creates. I am perfectly willing to admit that my own condition (frailty?) biases my argument, however.

-David

Anonymous said...

Good design!
[url=http://zmnvftlk.com/tdbe/hley.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://hsqmnfnc.com/gjww/inlv.html]Cool site[/url]

Anonymous said...

Well done!
My homepage | Please visit

Anonymous said...

Well done!
http://zmnvftlk.com/tdbe/hley.html | http://nenvqugr.com/ktlg/blbe.html