Thursday, December 18, 2008

card sentiment

Over Thanksgiving, Mark and I cleaned out the last few things from my parent's house in Kansas City. It was just a couple boxes on the shelf in my old room's closet. They were quite a treasure trove of my collected junk over the years. Among them are my rock collection, my shell collection, my McDonald's Barbie figurine toys collection, my coffee sleeve collection and random assortments of papers from elementary school to college. Apparently, I enjoy(ed) collecting things. This phase of mine has seemingly passed as now I tend to pitch things faster than anyone can blink. I usually figure that if I take too long to decipher my or Mark's feelings for something, we may keep more junk than we need. And I'm from a home that has had several generations' sentiments move in and collect in every available shelf and box. So I enjoy throwing things away more now.

With this in mind, I come to the point of my ponderous post, my largest collection that I have yet to rid myself of… greeting cards. It has recently been brought to my attention that they are an obsession for me. And I must admit it is true. Ever since I was little I have kept every card I have ever received. I have thrown out a few along the way depending on their attached sentiment or my enjoyment of the card, but that has only been a handful or two of cards over my 24 years of life. I have a lot of cards. Mark eyes them skeptically and questions what I want to do with them and I honestly don't know. I just love looking through them. When I was very little, my mom started a card scrapbook for me and I still have that and love to look through it over and over again. I would need several more books now to hold all my cards. So, what do I do with them? I have no idea, but I love my cards.

No comments: